Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Harkive

This is a record of what I've listened to today, because http://harkive.org/.

"The aim of the project is to capture for posterity a global snapshot of the way in which we interact with the sounds and technology of today, and get to the essence of what music means to us as all."

Today I woke up with the Manic Street Preachers' 'Hazelton Avenue' in my head, possibly because I'm considering going to see them at Shepherds Bush following an invitation from a friend last night.

I played it via Winamp and shimmied around while brushing my teeth.

I don't know where Hazelton Avenue is but I felt strangely nostalgic for it anyway.

Afterwards I played Placebo's album 'Black Market Music', also via Winamp.

It made me think of all the people I know that have apparently shagged Brian Molko.

I also attempted to imitate the Molko bleat while getting dressed.

"It's a raaaaayce, a raaaace for rats. A race for rats to diiiie."

These tracks would all have been scrobbled to Last FM as well, as I like everyone to know how fucking awesome my taste in music is.

Oh fine, and because they make relevant recommendations and I'm geeky for stats.

Then I played 'Blurred Lines' by Robin Thicke via Youtube, for about the 50th time. Despite the 'misogyny', you can't deny it's a CHOON.

Hummed it all the way to work, blending it with bits of Hazelton Avenue.

Got in to work and a colleague told me about one of the builders humming 2Unlimited's 'No Limits' the day before, firmly lodging it my boss's head, causing him to hum it all day.

I consequently got it stuck in my head, of course.

Come lunchtime I had to take some painkillers for the sciatica, sugar-coated supermarket shit as I'm trying to cut down on the expensive prescription meds.

So this popped in to my head:

Have also had Jessie J's Pricetag and Patti Smith's Because the Night rattling around in my head today. No idea why.

This also made an appearance. Again, pass.

At 12.15 a colleague remarked the builders next door were singing London Bridge is Falling Down. I didn't hear it personally, but thought I should make a note of it anyway.

Received an email from Spotify informing me the new Manics single is out. Which I already knew, but I thought it was nice of them anyway.

Thought of Prince's When Doves Cry and If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next after reading tweets from Nicola Manning and Simon Price respectively.

At 14.30 my boss informed me they were playing We Built This City in the local kebabery.

Got this as an earworm due to discovering a restaurant bearing the same name in a file at work.

Left work early to go and watch The Bling Ring. Discussed Smashing Pumpkins, AFP, and Frank Turner en route. Recognised music from Sleigh Bells, Azealia Banks, M.I.A. and Kanye in the film.

Got Barry Manilow's Mandy stuck in my head when I got home :(

Whacked on some Watchmaker to accompany a work-out.

(You probably won't like them).

I will probably hear my housemate humming along to the Eastenders theme later.

Thus concludes my contribution to Harkive, and what has probably been a terrifying journey through the musical maze of my mind. You're welcome.